About Annual Unit Charter Renewal
Scout membership one year at a time
is an Annual Unit Recharter?
Each year, every unit (pack, troop, team, or crew) ensures that all of their youth members and adult leaders are registered with the Boy Scouts of America, and collect membership fees. This is called the Annual Unit Charter Renewal Process.
This page will give you a general idea of the process and timeline. We'll post links to specific annual charter renewal process information on the related links area of this page. This helps us ensure you're getting only the current information.
Timeline for Annual Unit Charter Renewal
Units will be able to pick up their Unit Charter Renewal Packet and access code at their District Roundtable. Unit Charter Renewal training will be available from District volunteers and at University of Scouting. Online Unit Charters will open, allowing unit leaders to access their charter renewal online.
All unit charter renewals should be completed and turned in to the District Executive, at a district turn in location, or with a registrar at a Council Service Center.
Tips for Success
It's best if one person from your unit takes ownership of this
process. Here are some key points to verify.
- Get online at our Online Tools page Charter Renewal section
- Get an accurate roster of all youth and adult members who are continuing, checking that all names are spelled correctly.
- Review information for youth members, and correct any information on grades and ranks that may be incorrect.
- Collect the annual membership fees and annual Boys' Life subscription fees from each member.
- Any adult volunteer who is NOT listed on the Unit Charter Renewal will need an application and Youth Protection Training.
- After the Unit Charter Renewal is submitted online, it MUST be printed off so that the unit leader and head of the Charter Partner can sign it before turning in.
- Units can pay their charter renewal fees by making out a check to Northern Star Council or by credit card with one of our service centers.
The Boy Scouts of America has local professionals and volunteers to assist every unit with the charter renewal process. Links to additional forms and guides can be found on this page.